This professional development series supports Visiting Fellows at Penn State’s Center for Humanities & Information.
At each session, we will touch base about progress toward monthly research goals identified in the meeting prior, and then focus our conversations as follows:
1. Cover Letters & CVs – Sept. 11, 2019, 12:30-2, Burrowes 226
After introduction of the professional development series and other resources, will workshop select cover letters and CVs with an eye toward revision for the academic job market.
2. Teaching & Research Statements – Oct. 24, 2-3:30, Sparks 124
Will workshop select teaching and research statements.
3. Interviews – Nov. 21, 2-3:30, Sparks 124
Will discuss preparation for academic job interviews. Will be joined by Claire Bourne, former CHI fellow and assistant professor of English, and Michele Kennerly, current CHI fellow and associate professor of Communication Arts & Sciences.
4. Diversity Statements – Feb. 6, 12-1:30, 463 Burrowes
Will workshop diversity statements written for the academic job market.
5. First Semester in TT Positions – March 17, 12-1:30, 463 Burrowes
Will discuss strategies for navigating experiences common to the first semester on the tenure track. Will be joined by a former CHI fellow, now an assistant professor in the Department of History at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Asheesh Siddique.
*Cancelled during University’s early response to COVID-19.
6. Teaching & Job-Seeking during COVID-19 – April 22, 3:30-5, via Zoom
Will discuss challenges and strategies for teaching, job-seeking, and otherwise getting by during the COVID-19 pandemic.