For sessions with the Postdoctoral Teaching Fellows in Communication Arts & Sciences at Penn State (9/14/18, 12/6/17)
Sample plans (will distribute on paper; please don’t circulate)
- Decide on a period of time in relation to a large end goal, and then work backward (e.g. 1, 3, and/or 5 years).
- Determine whether to focus plan on research or include teaching and service as well.
- Set goals that are both long and short term; include under each goal concrete tasks (i.e. it’s easy to determine you either completed the task or not).
- Note specific deadlines for each task and goal.
- Develop monthly, weekly, semester, and “break” plans that are aligned with your 1-, 3-, and/or 5-year plans.
- Check off completed tasks and goals on a regularized basis (e.g. end of each month).
- Consider sharing plans with an accountability buddy and doing above check-ins together at planned intervals.
- Revise goals and tasks as needed along the way.
Why You Need a 5-Year Plan from the Professor Is In
The Peak Performing Professor by Susan Robinson